Modify the Zemax user data folder location

Modify the Zemax user data folder location

Author
Zemax_Kristen
Zemax Staff
Zemax Staff (217 reputation)

Group: Administrators / Zemax Staff
In OpticStudio 17, you'll be able to customize the location of the Zemax user data folder. Previously, this folder was automatically installed to the local documents folder, for example <C:\Users\Kristen.Norton\Documents\Zemax>. The ability to move this folder will be especially useful for customers whose Documents folder is redirected to a company network drive.
See this video for more information about this change:

J.-F. Pittet
J.-F. Pittet
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello,
Super … Zemax do it ! … I ask it during the beta test of Indigo ! … This was in February 2014.
Here below my proposal from the past … please, note the possibility to have more than one folder in the list is still interessant.
… Please, do not wait 3.5 years for implementing it.

Regards,
Jean-Francois

David
David
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)

J.-F. Pittet - Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:25 AM
Hello,
Super … Zemax do it ! … I ask it during the beta test of Indigo ! … This was in February 2014.
Here below my proposal from the past … please, note the possibility to have more than one folder in the list is still interessant.
… Please, do not wait 3.5 years for implementing it.

Regards,
Jean-Francois

This is exactly what I have been asking for. Each folder becomes a path list, searched in order. Further, there needs to be a symbolic entry that represents the folder the lens was loaded from. That way UDAs, source files, Objects, CAD parts, merit functions, etc can be kept in the project folder rather than in a folder containing everything I've ever done for the past 20 years.

Andrew Dennington
Andrew Dennington
Forum Member
Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)Forum Member (1.2K reputation)

Well it is a start, at improving Zemax's dreadful handling of files, but only a start. What I want changed is the total replacement in Zemax of the drop down lists of file names that appear whenever you have a file to select, whether it is for coatings or whatever. The drop down alphabetical list of just file names is something out of 80's software and has no place in a modern piece of software. The drop down list is useless on three counts, firstly you can't see any information about the file such as when it was created, secondly you can't change the list order of the files to put the most recently modified at the top and thirdly you can only access files in that appear in the directory you have setup as the default for that file type. The change I am asking for is very simple; whenever you have to select a file containing data that Zemax needs, Windows Explorer opens in the directory you selected as the default for that data type. Then you can change the list order depending on what you are looking for and if you find that the file is somewhere else you can navigate through the directory structure to find it. Surely this can't be rocket science to implement as it simply needs the drop down window subroutines replaced with calls to standard Windows procedures.

Andrew
David
David
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)Supreme Being (3.5K reputation)

Andrew Dennington - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:32 PM
Well it is a start, at improving Zemax's dreadful handling of files, but only a start. What I want changed is the total replacement in Zemax of the drop down lists of file names that appear whenever you have a file to select, whether it is for coatings or whatever. The drop down alphabetical list of just file names is something out of 80's software and has no place in a modern piece of software. The drop down list is useless on three counts, firstly you can't see any information about the file such as when it was created, secondly you can't change the list order of the files to put the most recently modified at the top and thirdly you can only access files in that appear in the directory you have setup as the default for that file type. The change I am asking for is very simple; whenever you have to select a file containing data that Zemax needs, Windows Explorer opens in the directory you selected as the default for that data type. Then you can change the list order depending on what you are looking for and if you find that the file is somewhere else you can navigate through the directory structure to find it. Surely this can't be rocket science to implement as it simply needs the drop down window subroutines replaced with calls to standard Windows procedures.

Andrew

Andrew, I agree.

Zemax_Kristen
Zemax_Kristen
Zemax Staff
Zemax Staff (217 reputation)

Group: Administrators / Zemax Staff
Hi David, Anderew, Jean-Francois,
Thank you all for testing this, and you're correct! This is just the first step in a new file-management paradigm for OpticStudio. Customers have been asking for a project-based folder structure, and we're planning to add this, but we still want you to be able to define files (like material catalogs) that can be used across all projects. So, we need to make sure that it is easy for the user to identify which files are used, and where they're located. The other critical part is handling all of your existing files, and potentially helping you move them into a project structure. If you'd like more detail on what we have planned, send me an email: kristen.norton@zemax.com.
-Kristen
GO