New Field Data Editor

New Field Data Editor

Author
Zemax_Kristen
Zemax Staff
Zemax Staff (217 reputation)

Group: Administrators / Zemax Staff
8/22 Update - this is now in the current OpticStudio Beta.

OpticStudio introduces a new Field Data Editor that uses the same spreadsheet paradigm as the other editors (LDE, NSCE, MFE, etc.). This spreadsheet editor makes it very easy to change and edit your field points. See this video for more information:

matthew bone
matthew bone
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)Forum Newbie (11 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Is the new field editor active.....I am using Beta 17 but do not see the menus you highlights?

Zemax_Kristen
Zemax_Kristen
Zemax Staff

matthew bone - Tuesday, August 8, 2017 3:17 PM
Is the new field editor active.....I am using Beta 17 but do not see the menus you highlights?

Hi Matthew -- sorry about this! This change didn't quite make it into the latest 17 Beta. It will be in there next week.
If you send me an email, I'll send you a link to a beta that does have the new editor included. My email address: kristen.norton@zemax.com
-Kristen
J.-F. Pittet
J.-F. Pittet
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)Forum Newbie (259 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello,
here some comments ... and wishes ...
- Add the field “activate” or “deactivate” box
- Please find a solution to the following problem … in all Zemax/OpticStudio version, if an intermediate field is deactivate, then the field is placed at the end of the activated field list, if the field is reactivated, it stays at the end of the list.
- automatic field distribution … add “Full Field” or “Half Field” selection => for uniform 3° …. (-3°, -2°, -1°, 0°, 1°, 2°, 3°) or only (0°, 1°, 2°, 3°).
- please, if “Half Field” … set the fields in sequence with (0°, 1°, 2°, 3°) not (0°, 3°, 2°,1°) !
- Automatic distribution … “Grid”, is it an “uniform” grid ? Can you add an “Equal-area grid” ?
- Grid distribution … What will be the sequence ? (-X; +Y), (0; +Y), (+X; +Y), (-X; 0), (0; 0), (+X; 0), (-X; -Y), (0; -Y), (+X; -Y) or something different ?
- For the grid definition, one possibilty is to define the field centre coordinate, than the half-X and half-Y distance. (sometimes the design use off-axis optics with non-centred fields).
Regards,
Jean-Francois

Zemax_Kristen
Zemax_Kristen
Zemax Staff

J.-F. Pittet - Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:13 AM
Hello,
here some comments ... and wishes ...
- Add the field “activate” or “deactivate” box
- Please find a solution to the following problem … in all Zemax/OpticStudio version, if an intermediate field is deactivate, then the field is placed at the end of the activated field list, if the field is reactivated, it stays at the end of the list.
- automatic field distribution … add “Full Field” or “Half Field” selection => for uniform 3° …. (-3°, -2°, -1°, 0°, 1°, 2°, 3°) or only (0°, 1°, 2°, 3°).
- please, if “Half Field” … set the fields in sequence with (0°, 1°, 2°, 3°) not (0°, 3°, 2°,1°) !
- Automatic distribution … “Grid”, is it an “uniform” grid ? Can you add an “Equal-area grid” ?
- Grid distribution … What will be the sequence ? (-X; +Y), (0; +Y), (+X; +Y), (-X; 0), (0; 0), (+X; 0), (-X; -Y), (0; -Y), (+X; -Y) or something different ?
- For the grid definition, one possibilty is to define the field centre coordinate, than the half-X and half-Y distance. (sometimes the design use off-axis optics with non-centred fields).
Regards,
Jean-Francois

Hi Jean-Francois,
Thank you again for posting your feedback on the forum. All of your comments thus far have been very helpful.
For the activate/deactivate setting -- are you thinking this could be located in the Field properties? We just added a similar setting for tolerance operands in the Tolerance Data Editor. Also, could you tell us more about what you'd be doing when would you want to turn fields off? I just want to make sure we understand the use-case.
In the Beta from Aug 22, the field distribution wizard includes the following: Uniform Y, Equal-area Y, Uniform X, Equal-area X, Grid, Uniform Radial, Equal-area Radial. I like your "half-field" suggestion -- I sent this to our engineers who are working on this feature.
The Grid distribution is uniform, and not based on area, but the Equal-area Radial may be what you're looking for. Could you test this, and let us know?
Also, the Grid distribution starts with the on-axis field and then the four corners. Then, it starts out at the max Y and scans from max to min along X, then the next Y and scans along X etc... to the min Y with the final scan along X.
Does that answer your questions? Please let me know if I missed anything.
-Kristen

GO